Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Kick-off


My name is Michel Koeken and I am an Operations Management & Logistics (master of Industrial Engineering) student at Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands. I started this blog to give anyone who has an affection with my master thesis the opportunity to provide input and feedback.

The topic of my master thesis: Provide a structural approach in the selection process for Hospital Information Systems (HIS­) using Feature Modeling. My aim is to provide hospitals a structural approach which shows them the HIS that has the best-fit according their needs. I plan to make this structural approach via pure::variants. This is a program which allows the user to generate feature diagrams which in the end can be used to make an explicit choice between several HIS.

On this moment I am busy with my literature study and my final master courses. My last exams will be in week 4 and 5 of 2012. After these exams I will focus all my attention on my master thesis. My literature study and research proposal has to be finished before the start of my master thesis in February to make sure that my master thesis will contribute significantly to the existing literature. A few challenging aspects are to master the program pure::variants, to find the relevant decision criteria used by hospitals for a HIS and to acquire the strengths and weaknesses of the different HIS.

Of course I cannot do this on my own and therefore my mentor dr. P.M.E. (Pieter) van Gorp will help and guide me along the way.

If you have any comments, want to provide feedback, offer your help with my literature study or master thesis and/or are interested in my master thesis please feel free to leave a comment which will be highly appreciated. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michel,
    nice to see that you have started blogging about your thesis too!

    Have you made any progress with pure::variants already? Also, have you worked on requirements for a feature modeling tool that you might use to revisit your choice for pure::variants if needed?

    Finally, at this stage try to be very open to other ways to HIS selection. Check JAMIA etc. for papers on that topic and try to classify the literature in such a way that it confirms (or rejects :-( ) the novelty and relevance of your proposal.

    Best,
    Pieter

    ReplyDelete